This page collates some of the most useful quality improvement resources for EDs.
What is Quality Improvement?
"The conception of improvement finally reached as a result of the review was to define improvement as better patient experience and outcomes achieved through changing provider behaviour and organisation through using a systematic change method and strategies." (Dr John Øvretveit, Does Improving Quality Save Money? Sept 2009).
What is Quality Care?
The Institute of Medicine (IoM) defines quality care as: safe, effective, patient-centered, timely, efficient and equitable. Read more about these six domains of quality in Crossing the Quality Chasm (IoM, March 2001).
Quality improvement in the ED
FRCEM QIP examination
Useful QI resources
- Training for better outcomes - Developing quality improvement into practice (AoMRC, June 2019)
- Glossary of terms used in improvement and implementation (King's Improvement Science, Dec 2018)
- An introduction to analysing quality improvement and assurance data (HQIP, Oct 2018)
- Improvement Fundamentals - short online QI courses (NHS England, Oct 2018)
- Clinical audit does not work, is quality improvement any better? (British Journal of Hospital Medicine, Sept 2018)
- Making data count - understanding SPC charts (NHS Improvement May 2018)
- Change Model - NHS England (2018)
- Unlocking the potential: Supporting doctors to use national clinical audit to drive improvement (Royal College of Physicians, Apr 2018)
- Guide to quality improvement - King's Improvement Science (Apr 2018)
- Guidance for deciding what to improve and the feasibility of a quality improvement project - King's Improvement Science (Apr 2018)
- Template for planning and evaluating a quality improvement project - King's Improvement Science (Apr 2018)
- Assessing quality improvement in a healthcare provider (CQC BG048, March 2018)
- Using data to support change in clinical practice (Royal College of Surgeons, Oct 2017)
- Quality Improvement Training for Better Outcomes - Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (2016)
- A guide to quality improvement methods – HQIP (June 2015)
- Quality Improvement made simple – The Health Foundation (August 2013)
- Model for Improvement - IHI (2009)
- Quality Improvement Essentials Toolkit - IHI
- Plan-So-Study-Act Worksheet – IHI
- Improvement Project Roadmap– IHI
- Using run and control charts to understand variation - IHI
- SQUIRE Guidelines Table
- SQUIRE Glossary
- Quality Improvement: theory and practice in healthcare - NHSIII (2008)
- Interactive map of QI projects - Academy of Medical Royal Colleges
- RCEM QIP example: Implementing a low-technology, low cost solution to a complex issue
- The Leeds improvement model
Websites for QI organisations
If you would like to suggest a resource to be featured on this page, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.