Changes to our Membership structure - For 2019
Changes to RCEM membership structure affecting (1) Physician Associates, nurses and other registered healthcare professionals, and (2) Senior doctors without MRCEM or FRCEM examination.
I am pleased to announce some significant changes to our membership structure. These changes are designed to improve the inclusivity of RCEM, reflect the makeup and team-based nature of our speciality, and also to further strengthen our brand and position as the representative body for Emergency Medicine in the UK. We are additionally seeking to simplify the membership structure so that it is easier to understand.
- RCEM has led the way with our credentialing program for Advanced Clinical Practitioners. In response to ongoing changes in the EM workforce we are also opening Associate Membership of the College to Physician Associates, either in training or fully qualified. This will give PAs access to eportfolio and other RCEM training resources, contributing to our ability to train this valuable group of colleagues. This change comes into force immediately.
- We are opening Associate Membership of the college to nurses, paramedics and other registered healthcare professionals living and working in the UK. This further reinforces the fact that we work in teams and not in isolation. This change comes into force immediately.
- There is no doubt about the valuable contribution made by senior doctors choosing a long-term career in our speciality, but who do not qualify for membership or fellowship by examination. This should be recognised. At the same time the criteria for Associate Fellowship do not reflect the high standards that many of our colleagues achieve. We are therefore changing the Associate Fellowship requirements for all new applicants from 1st April 2018. Full details will be available on the website shortly. This change will not affect existing Associate Fellows.
- As part of the changes to Associate Fellowship senior colleagues with appropriate paediatric qualifications will be eligible. This change is designed to recognise the evolution of Paediatric Emergency Medicine as a speciality.
- From 1st April 2018 the only overseas examination recognised as being equivalent to FRCEM will be FACEM. This is relevant to colleagues seeking to join the College via the Fellowship ad Eundem route.
Myself or the membership team will be pleased to answer any questions regarding these changes to the membership structure of your College.