Training Standards Committee
The College’s Training Standards Committee has responsibility for translating the College’s aims for specialty training in Emergency Medicine into working systems throughout the UK.
- It sets the standards for EM training and assessment within the GMC framework and works with other College committees to develop the curriculum and assessment system.
- It provides advice to trainees and trainers in the UK on training and assessment and acts as a link between the EM Schools/deaneries/Specialty Training Committees and the College and the GMC.
- It evaluates EM CESR applications received from the GMC and coordinates the Medical Training Initiative (MTI) on behalf of the College.
- It works with Health Education England and the devolved equivalents to set standards for entry to training and recruitment to training posts.
This page contains guidance from the committee for trainers, EM Schools, Training Programme Directors, deaneries/HE regions and trainees.
Specialty Tutor (was “College Tutor”)
The Committee advises that:
- The title of the role shall be ‘Specialty Tutor’
- The role should be accountable to the Director of Medical Education (DME)
- Good practice is that the Head of School should contribute to avoid an individual Specialty Tutor giving advice without any counterbalance or checks
- The role should include being an examiner so that there is some link with College quality assurance
- The Specialty Tutor should be up to date with his/her CPD
The National Association of Clinical Tutors (NACT) has produced a Specialty/College Tutor job description
as an appendix to their “Faculty Guide: the Workplace Environment in Postgraduate Medical Training October 2013”
Level of Evidence form for CESR-CP
The Committee has produced a Level of Evidence form
as a guide for those wishing to enter EM training at a level higher than ST/CT1 by having non-GMC-approved training and experience counted on the CESR-CP (Combined Programme) route. Evidence at levels 1 and 2 is required at recruitment interview.
Educational Supervisors (eligibility requirement guidance)
The Committee has produced guidance on eligibility requirements
for EM Named Educational Supervisors.
SPA time for EM trainees
The Committee has produced recommendations for SPA time for EM trainees
Counting clinical time for EM trainees on OOPR (including higher degree/research fellows)
TSC recommendations can be found here