How to write to your MP

You can contact your MP when you, or people living in your area, are affected by decisions made by the UK Parliament or by the Government. MPs represent all the people in their local area, whether they vote for them or not.

Who is my MP?

Who your MP is depends on where you live. The UK is divided into 650 areas called constituencies, and each constituency is represented by one MP. MPs will generally only act on behalf of people who live in their own constituency, so please check you are contacting the right MP for your address.

You can use your postcode or a place name to search our Find your MP service and find out the name of your MP and how to contact them.

When should I contact my MP?

You could contact your MP:

  • If you feel you have been treated unfairly by a Government office or agency
  • To let your MP know about a problem affecting people in your local area
  • To ask your MP to support a particular campaign that you feel strongly about

Your MP is not always the best person to help with an issue. Before you contact your MP please see our advice on who else may be able to help.

How do I contact my MP?

Writing is probably the best method, as it provides a written record that can be referred to later. You can:

  • Write a letter to your MP at: House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA
  • Email them using the contact details in the Directory of MPs

Remember: always include your own address when you write to your MP so that they will know you live in their constituency.

Social media

Many MPs can be contacted through Twitter and other platforms. They may also run their own websites. These details have been added to the information in the Directory of MPs where possible.

What should I say to my MP?
You can raise concerns about whatever you wish, however we would suggest using the below as a template for your letter.

What should I do if my MP hasn’t answered my email/letter?

MPs receive a large amount of correspondence, so cannot always reply immediately. If you haven’t heard back from them after about two weeks, you should follow up your email or letter with a phone call, or make an appointment to go and see them at their local surgery. 

What can I ask my MP to do?

MPs can make confidential enquiries with officials or a government minister on your behalf. They can also refer individual cases to be investigated by the Parliamentary Ombudsman. If they agree to support a cause you have raised with them, they may also choose to raise it publicly in the House of Commons – through questions, debates, motions or amendments.

If you ask your MP to support something that conflicts with their party’s policy, or with the interests of other local people, they may decide that they cannot help you.

What if my MP is a Minister, Speaker or Deputy Speaker?

If your MP becomes a government minister, the Speaker or one of their deputies, they are still able to help with problems that affect their constituents. They will, though, use other methods instead of raising issues publicly in the Chamber.

Can I contact other MPs?
You should always contact your local MP first to raise an issue at Parliament. However, if your campaign is of general or national importance, you could also contact other MPs who may be interested in supporting you. 

To find out which MPs take a special interest in a health matters you could: